Chimney Rock Park Entrance, Colorado 151
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
This 1.5 hour guided tour explores local geology and its relationship to the daily lives of the ancestral Puebloans who lived at Chimney Rock. Rock types impact structures, pottery, tools, and soil productivity; geologic processes determine the landscape, and, at Chimney Rock, play a central role in climate. The relationship between the pillars and the South San Juan Mountains in terms of astronomical observations will be considered. No prior knowledge of geology is assumed. The hike up to the Chacoan Great House offers great view and photo opportunities but may be difficult for some in terms of the steep gradient, uneven footing, and elevation. Participants should be in reasonable physical condition and willing to hike mostly uphill (and return steeply downhill.) The tour length includes 30 minutes for hiking to and from the Great House.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
These are reservations-only programs. Making a reservation through the call center or website is the only way to guarantee a spot on this tour. Most programs are at full capacity prior to the event but we will accommodate walk-ins if space is available. Booking fees do not apply to walk-ins. In the event of cancellation due to inclement weather, rain checks will be available. For details, please call the Visitor Cabin (970-883-5359) 9:00 – 4:00 Mountain Time.
- Arrive for check-in 8:10am-8:20am
- Tour departs the Visitor Cabin at 8:30am for morning tour or
- Arrive for check-in 4:00pm.
- Tour departs the Visitor Cabin at 4:30pm and ends at 7:00pm for evening tour
- $16.00/adult and $8.00/child (5-12)
- Considered a non-refundable donation.
- A booking fee applies to each ticket purchased online or through the call center.